Sunday, March 18, 2012

Detoxing

Over the last weeks I've been working on detoxing. It is an interesting experiencing watching your body's method of shedding toxins, waste, chemicals, and disease. This last week I've broken out in pimples, had the worst body odor, smelled like yeast, itched, spent some time in the bathroom, and had lots of sneezing fits. I've been  tired and run the gamete of emotions - both highs and lows.

I spent some time today relating this to my spiritual life. I go through phases of highs and lows. I rid my sinful body of toxins through prayer and fasting and developing disciplines that carry me through the hard times. I have been going through a weary few months, thought in looking back on my journals, I see that God sends me to this place every year about this time. I have begun to expect and even appreciate this time of detoxing. I spend time with the Lord in different way, I pray more, dream more, sit in silence more, meditate on short verses instead of larger ones. I rest and sleep more. I have less energy so I spend more time reading to my kids and my house gets messy!

"Come away by yourselves to a lonely place and rest a while." For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat." Mark 16:31


I spend a lot of time coming and going, meeting the needs of my kids and husband - I love this job! But there are times when resting and getting done the things that are most basic are just fine. I have come to love the lonely place for to me it represents rest and restoration and a renewed spirit.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light." Matthew 11:38-40


The Lord brings about my sabbath rest each year - around mid January through April. I am typically weary from Thanksgiving, Christmas, Anniversary, 3 birthday's & lots of company. I have the Mom Heart conference in February that inspires and challenges me in my mothering role. Once the season of business ends I take a few months to just rest in the Lord - remembering the conference and what I wanted to implement, remembering the dreams and unique ways God has wired me. I rest in His goodness and allow the Lord time to penetrate my heart in preparation for the next season. 

The season I am in now is one of rest so that I can encourage and build up my husband in his dream to once again visit Vietnam and share with the people God's presence through a special education conference. This is a huge part of our year-  planning, saving, preparing and praying. This years it has been especially hard to get all our funds together, make plans, listen to God and have faith!

We're also experiencing some changes in our home schooling. This next year, Drew's 2nd grade year, we are planning on sending Drew to Alliance Christian Academy. He will attend 3 days per week and I'll homeschool him the remaining 2. Gabe will beginning Kindergarten and I'll  be working with him at home. I can't say that I love the idea of sending my son away 3 days per week and that I love spending the money - but that is where the Lord is directing our path for this next year. My job has really exploded over the last year and it seems to be more demanding that it use to be. While I wait for the rest to come I do find peace in having someone else manage the majority of Drew's schooling. That is so hard for me to give up, but as my sweet husband reminded me, "...we're taking this one year at a time!" Who knows what the rest of 2012 will bring!


No comments: